Come on, you know you want to follow me....

The Luxe

>> Monday, March 8, 2010

Name: The Luxe
Author: Anna Godberson
Pages: 433
Start Date: Feb. 26
Finish Date: March 1
Type: Historical Romance/Drama; Hardback
Status: Library; 1st in Luxe Series (1/4)
Rating:




Summary:


Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with mischievous smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899.

Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone—from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud—threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.


My Review: I had wanted to read this and I heard that the last one was coming out so I thought I'd read them. This book was so cut-throat, and true to life had to keep reminding my self it was actually in the 1900's, which made me love it more. I hated Penny, adored Di, despised Lina, sympathized Henry, and loved Lizzy & Will. I can't say much, but I root for the true ones. Just read it even through the dry parts and then go get the others. Fast.

Exert: "Now would you care to bet her hand in marriage on the next race?"
"What a scandal that would be. 'Society Boys Horse Trade with Their Brides.' And you know how the papers recount every blow of my nose."
"I wasn't serious man." -pg. 223

Cover/Title: I love the dress and that is exactly what I think Elizabeth would look like! Title is flawless.

Extras:
The whole dress
You gotta see this!
Luxe Site (Check out everything! I got: Dianna Holland and Teddy C. What About You?)

~ The Clumsy Reader aka Christine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Awesome Blogs!

Photobucket
The Book Vixen

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP