Come on, you know you want to follow me....

Vegan Virgin Valentine

>> Saturday, March 27, 2010

Name: Vegan Virgin Valentine
Author: Carolyn Mackler
Pages: 228
Start Date: March 20
Finish Date: March 21
Type: Coming of Age/Family & Love Story; Softcover
Status: My Bookshelf; 1st in Valentine Series
Rating:
Summary:
Mara Valentine is in control. She's a straight - a student, a strict vegan and she's heading to Yale in the fall. So when her hell raising sixteen-year-old niece, V, comes to live with the family, Mara is horrified. Even more so when she starts dreaming about cheese sandwiches every night and realizes she is falling for James, her boss. Unable to ignore these unfamiliar cravings, Mara starts to give into them a little and in doing so discovers her sexuality, redefines her relationship with her over-anxious parents, and realizes that V could, in fact, be a potential friend and ally.

My Review: I had read Carolyn's "Love and Other Four Letter words" and " The earth, my butt, and other big round things" and loved both the stories and how the author sounded like a teen. I gotta say, she did it again! The way Mara acted (being a vegan, being a A+ student, and ,of course, being a virgin) was right on the dot on how teen acts. I also liked that the guy she falls for is her boss. But he was sooooooo sweet!!!!!! And V......... oh V. I gotta say, honestly I am the two Valentine girls put together. I have my wild side like V but I'm a lot more down to earth like Mara. But I do not dream of grilled cheese or smoke weed. This book is for any girl who just feels like she can't relate to all these cool heroins in books these days. Everyone can relate to V or Mara in someway. I promise you :)

Excerpt: We ended up discussing these totally random things, like how annoying it is when you cut a tag out of your shirt because it's uncomfortable but then that little remaining strip itches even more. Or why do people walk on the right in grocery stores, jut like how we drive on the road? Did walking come first and the cars follow? Or did cars dictate pedestrian patterns and, if so, how did people walk before cars came along? ~ pg. 98

Cover/Title: Cute cover but it took me forever to realize it's V's pink tank top and rhinestone letters only spelling the title instead. I think that could look like one of the girls. And the title is long but fits the book.

Extras:
Oklahoma!
What James is reading (Mara's Fave Book) pg. 110


James fave book (Mara read it and I will too!) pg. 110

Herbert the Dino - pg. 148

Boyz II Men - End of the Road (the theme song for prom *gag*) pg. 152

THE STICKER! or well close enough..
~ The Clumsy Reader aka Christine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Awesome Blogs!

Photobucket
The Book Vixen

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP